Role of Adhesives in Electric Vehicle Battery Assembly
The powerful Li-Ion battery packs of today’s modern electric vehicles rely on a wide variety of technologies to ensure the best possible driving experience. Gasketing and structural adhesive play a key role in delivering a battery that is efficient, durable and maximizes performance, while delivering a comfortable driving experience.
Let’s take a deeper dive into these adhesive technologies advancing electric vehicle batteries:
Today’s electric vehicle gasketing technologies perform a variety of functions, including:
- Preventing water, dust, moisture and salt into the battery pack
- Helping to minimize noise, vibration, and harshness to protect the battery pack
- Provide design flexibility which includes multi-substrate options to increase efficiency and lightweight of the battery pack
These technologies can be applied in a variety of areas that include the battery housing, battery management system and cooling system.
Henkel offers a variety of LOCTITE liquid dispensed sealing solutions for battery packs, including:
- Formed-in-place – provide excellent adhesion, strength, flexibility and environmental resistance
- Cured-in-place – applies high performance compression gaskets directly onto part within seconds.
- Foam gasketing – is made up of a UV/moisture-cure silicone that is injected with nitrogen to form a soft, flexible, low modulus foam gasketing for sealing applications that require high performance in demanding environments.
Structural adhesives are an ideal replacement for mechanical fasteners within the vehicle battery, delivering several benefits, including:
- Even distribution of stress and load across bonded joints, improving strength and reducing overall material.
- Permanent seal to prevent rust and corrosion through gap filling capabilities
- Bonding of dissimilar substrates, including metal to plastic.
- Efficient and flexible part design
- Improved aesthetics of final assembly
Not to mention, structural adhesives are nearly two times stronger than spot welds and bolts and are better able to withstand the test of time.
For additional information on how advanced adhesives technologies improve battery life and long-term performance, protect critical electronics, enable lightweighting and ultimately reduce investment and operating costs, check out our presentation on the Smart Chemistry Hub.